Monday 3 October 2005

Richard Hawley - London Scala live review

The world's most down-to-earth crooner, Richard Hawley consults the lyric sheets on his lectern: "I took so much acid in the '80s, I can't remember a fucking thing," he admits, smiling and unrepentant. Grabbing songs from classy new album Coles Corner as well as from his coveted catalogue, Hawley boasts a voice somewhere between Johnny Cash growl and Scott Walker trill, so rich and tangy you could spread it on toast. 'Baby You’re My Light' enchants, and 'Born Under A Bad Sign' transforms the Scala into a twinkling 1950s ballroom. "People call this bedwetters' music - well I'll piss on your mattress anytime," he says charmingly, before 'The Waters Of My Time' engulfs any remaining doubters. In a class of his own.

Charlie Ivens

originally appeared in The Fly magazine, October 2005 issue